Recently, the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority( ICA) declared a new set of rules regarding the walk-in co,lllection of their passports. Passport renewal is an essential process for Singaporeans who wish to travel internationally. A passport is a document issued by the government that certifies an individual’s identity and citizenship, allowing them to travel to foreign countries.
In Singapore, passport renewal is a straightforward method that can be done online or in person. In this blog, we will cover everything you need about passport renewal in Singapore— including the requirements, procedures, and essential tips.
How to renew Singapore Passport
When your passport renewal is near, remember your expiration date and where and when you travel.
Why is Passport Renewal important?
A passport has an expiration date, usually valid for 5 or 10 years, depending on the type of passport issued. Once a passport expires, it can no longer be used for international travel. Therefore, passport renewal is crucial for Singaporeans who plan to travel abroad before their passport has expired or is about to expire. A valid passport is essential for entry into most countries and for various purposes, such as business trips, vacations, and family visits.
Passport Renewal Singapore Requirements
Before proceeding with passport renewal in Singapore, it is essential to ensure that you meet the following requirements:
1. Citizenship of Singapore:
Only Singapore citizens are eligible for passport renewal in Singapore. If you are a permanent resident or hold any other residency status, you cannot renew your Passport in Singapore.
2. Date of Expiry:
You can apply for passport renewal six months before your passport expires. Renewing your passport well before it expires is advisable to avoid any last-minute delays or inconveniences.
3 Existing Passport:
It would help to have your current passport when applying for renewal. The existing passport will be cancelled and returned to you after renewal.
4. Digital Passport Photo:
You will need a digital passport-size colour photo taken within the last three months that meets the requirements of the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA). The picture must be in JPEG format and clear, with a white background, and without any headgear or spectacles.
5. Supporting Documents:
Depending on your circumstances, you may need to provide supporting documents, like your birth certificate, National Registration Identity Card (NRIC), or other relevant documents.
How to renew a Singapore passport
Passport renewal procedures can be carried out in two ways. Below mentioned are the procedures which are necessary for passport renewal.
1. Online Passport Renewal
- Log in to the ICA’s Passport Online Application System (POLAR) using your SingPass ID and password.
- Fill in the required information, including personal, contact, and passport details.
- Upload a digital passport-sized colour photo that meets the ICA’s requirements.
- Review and verify the information provided before applying.
- Make the payment online using a credit or debit card.
- Once the application is submitted and payment is made, you will receive a confirmation email with the application number.
- Wait for the ICA to process your application, which usually takes 10 working days.
- If your application is accepted, you will be notified with an email with instructions on collecting your new passport.
- Visit the designated passport collection centre with your existing passport and the necessary supporting documents (if required) to collect your new passport.
In-person renewal of passport
- Visit any of the ICA’s Passport Application Centers (PACs) in person.
- Bring along your existing passport, a digital passport-sized colour photo that meets the ICA’s requirements, and the necessary supporting documents (if required).
- Complete the passport renewal application form provided at the PAC.
- Submit the completed application form, the necessary documents, and payment to the counter officer.
- The counter officer will verify your documents and process your application.
- If your application is approved, you will be given a collection slip with the date and time to collect your new passport.
- Visit the designated passport collection centre on the specified date and time with your existing passport and the collection slip.
- Collect your new passport from the designated counter, and your existing passport will be cancelled and returned to you.
How long does it take to renew a passport in Singapore?
The processing time for a passport is nearly four to six weeks, depending upon receipt of the ICA application and the submission of necessary documents. Besides, if your photograph does not meet the requirements, the processing time will be slightly longer. Every detail will be notified to you through an email.
Essential Tips for Passport Renewal Singapore
Here are some essential tips to keep in mind during the passport renewal process in Singapore:
1. Apply early:
It is recommended to renew your passport well before it expires, as the process may take time, especially during peak seasons. Applying at least six months before your passport’s expiration date will ensure ample time for processing and collection.
2. Check photo requirements:
Ensure that your passport photo meets the ICA’s requirements, like being in colour, having a white background, and without any headgear or spectacles. You must meet the photo requirements to avoid delays or the rejection of your application.
3. Provide accurate information:
Double-check all the information provided in your passport renewal application to ensure accuracy. Any errors may result in delays or rejection of your application. Provide correct and up-to-date personal details of everything.
4. Prepare Supporting Documents:
If you are required to provide supporting documents, like your birth certificate or NRIC, gather them beforehand and bring them along during your in-person application.
5. Payment method:
If you are applying online, ensure you have a valid credit or debit card for online payment. If you are using it in person, check the accepted mode of payment, as cash may not be accepted.
6. Collect your new passport:
Collect your new passport on the specified date and time in the collection slip. Bring along your existing passport and the collection slip for a smooth collection process.
7. Passport validity for travel:
Some countries may need your passport coherent six months before your entry date. It is advisable to check the passport validity requirements of your destination country before planning your travel to avoid any issues at immigration checkpoints.
Passport renewal is a straightforward process in Singapore, and Singaporeans need to ensure that their passport is valid when planning to travel internationally. Whether renewing your passport online or in person, follow the requirements, provide accurate information, and gather the necessary documents to avoid any delays or rejection of your application.
1. How do I renew my Singapore passport from overseas?
A- For Singapore citizens residing overseas, you can log into our e-Service using your Singpass, which will help complete the online application form, then submit it to the Singapore Passport Application Form (overseas) (PDF, 124KB) in person at a Singapore Overseas Mission.
2. Can I renew my passport at the post office in Singapore?
A- SingPost also provides a one-stop service for the application and collection of passports, identity cards (NRIC), and long-term passes at selected post office locations islandwide. You can check it out there.
3. How can I renew my Singapore passport in India?
A- Singaporeans residing in India can apply for a new Singapore Passport through two channels-
- In-person at Singapore High Commission or the nearest Consulate.
You will require a digital photo image and a valid credit card for the payment.