Expat parents searching for the best international school for their child can find many options in Singapore. There is a wide choice of international curriculums that offers American, French, British, Indian, and Swiss making an easy transition to and from other schools worldwide. Many international schools in Singapore offer bilingual instruction. Singapore is one of the most popular expat destinations in the world, with a vibrant economy, a rich cultural heritage, and a high standard of living. As such, it’s no surprise that there are a large number of international schools in Singapore that fulfill the needs of expat families. A large part of the student body at international schools tends to be of the same nationality as the school’s country of origin, and the rest of the population comprises many races. Hence expat children can experience familiar surroundings and exposure to the cultures.
This blog will examine what international schools in Singapore offer, what you should look for when choosing a school, and a list of international schools in Singapore.
Why Choose an International School in Singapore?
There are many reasons why expats in Singapore opt to choose international schools.
- Firstly, international schools often offer a high-quality education that universities worldwide recognize. This is important for families who may move frequently or who have aspirations for their children to study abroad.
- International schools in Singapore often have a diverse student body, with children from various cultures and backgrounds. This can benefit children by exposing them to different perspectives and ways of thinking.
- International schools in Singapore often offer a range of extracurricular activities and programs designed to help children develop their skills and interests outside of the classroom.
What to look for in International Schools in Singapore
When choosing an international school in Singapore, there are many factors that you should consider. These include:
1. Location – Consider the school’s location and whether it is convenient for you to get to. Consider the area of your home and whether it is close to the school.
2. Curriculum – International schools in Singapore typically offer various curricula, including the International Baccalaureate, British National, and American curricula. Make sure you choose a school that provides a curriculum recognized in your home country or the country where your child is likely to attend university.
3. Facilities- Look for a school with modern facilities, including well-equipped classrooms, science labs, sports facilities, and arts facilities.
4. Fees– International schools in Singapore can be expensive, so it’s essential to consider the costs and whether they are affordable for your family.
5.Authorization – Look for a school authorized by an international organization, such as the Council of International Schools or the International Baccalaureate Organization.
List of International Schools in Singapore
Here are some of the best international schools in Singapore:
1. United World College of South East Asia ( UWCSEA) –
UWCSEA is a non-profit international school that offers the International Baccalaureate curriculum. The school has two campuses in Singapore and strongly focuses on community service and environmental sustainability.
2. Australian International Schools Singapore
AIS has a long history of delivering a holistic and rounded education. It offers an Australian-based curriculum combined with a focus on the development of the individual as a whole.
3. Tanglin Trust School
Tanglin Trust School offers a British-style education to students aged 3 to 18. The school has excellent facilities, including a state-of-the-art sports complex and a performing arts center.
4.Canadian International School
Canadian International School offers a Canadian-style education to students from preschool to grade 12. The school strongly focuses on bilingual education and provides a range of extracurricular activities, including music, drama, and sports programs.
5.Singapore American School
Singapore American School offers an American-style education to students from kindergarten to grade 12. The school has various student bodies and imparts many extracurricular activities, including sports teams and performing arts programs.
6.Dulwich College Singapore International School
Highly experienced teachers, passionate students, and state-of-the-art facilities are the foundations of Dulwich College. It provides a well-rounded education based on academic rigor complemented by rich co-curricular programs. It imparts various learning opportunities in sports, music, and creative arts.
7. Stamford American International School
Stamford American International School offers the International Baccalaureate curriculum, focusing on technology and innovation. The school has excellent facilities, including a maker space and a virtual reality lab.
Factors To Consider When Choosing International Schools In Singapore
In addition to the factors mentioned above, there are a few more things to consider when choosing an international school in Singapore.
1.Language – If your child is not a native English speaker, you may want to consider a school offering bilingual education or a strong English as a Second Language (ESL) program. Some schools also offer language classes in other languages, such as Mandarin, Spanish, or French.
2. Teaching Staff – The qualifications and experience of the teaching staff are also essential to consider. Look for schools that have qualified and experienced teachers with a good track record of success.
3. Values and culture – Different schools may have different cultures and values that they promote. Choosing a school that aligns with your family’s values and beliefs is essential.
4. Process of Admission –Finally, ensure you understand each school’s admissions process. Some schools may have a long waiting list or require a competitive entrance exam or interview. It’s essential to start the application process early to ensure your child has a spot.
Choosing an international school in Singapore is an important decision for expat families. Besides, international schools in Singapore offer high-quality education and a diverse community for expat families. When choosing a school, consider the curriculum, facilities, location, fees, accreditation, language programs, class size, teaching staff, culture and values, and admissions process. With careful research and consideration, you can find the best school for your child’s needs and ensure their success in their academic journey.